Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Books I read in 2008!

Stormy Weather, Carl Hiaasen
The Other Boleyn Girl, The Virgin's Lover, The Contstant Princess, The Boleyn Inheritance and The Other Queen, Phillippa Gregorey
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
Life in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe
The Invisible Wall, Harry Bernstein
The Mermaid Chair, Sue Monk Kidd
Atonement, Ian McEWAN
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
Rashi's Daughters Book II: Miriam, Maggie Anton
The Red Scarf, Kate Furnivall
The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
Wicked, Gregory McGuire

I tried to read Satanic Verses, Salman Rushdie - but I started having nightmares about 2/3s of the way through!!!

I am about 700 pages into World Without End, Ken Follitt. It is awesome!

All in all a good literary year! I would recommend all them except Satanic Verses and Life in the Time of Cholera. I already mentioned the nightmares. Life in the Time of Cholera was a lifetime journey to nowhere! It ended where it began. I like a book that takes you on a trip to somewhere new, and shows the characters change with the events they encounter. The circular journey of LINTOC was disappointing to say the least!


I met Phillippa Gregory in September at a book signing event. She is an absolute wonder. She is funny, intelligent, and it is obvious why her books are so good. I am looking forward to her upcoming series about the Plantagenet dynasty in Medieval England!!!

If anyone is out there, please send suggestions for good books to read. It is my mission in life to keep the publishing companies in business! Books are the only "things" I could not live without!

No comments:

Post a Comment